October 2017 Minutes

Minutes 2017 Uploaded on May 1, 2021

Minutes of a Meeting held in the village hall at 7.30 pm on

Thursday 2nd November 2017.

Present: Cllr H Thomas (Chair) Cllr C Martin Cllr J Perrin, Cllr B King, Cllr P Emery and Cllr P Kelland (WODC), Cllr C Mathew (OCC) six members of the public and the Clerk David Casey.

121/17 APOLOGIES:  , Cllr P Clague,  

The Chairman explained that any pecuniary or personal or non pecuniary interest in an item should be declared. .


The minutes of the meeting held on Thursday 5th October were approved


a) Thames Valley Police: – The Clerk said there was no report on the TVPA website or the new Twitter and Facebook sites. Cllr Perrin stated there had been no local reports from Thames Valley Police alerts.

b) Report by the Clerk on actions from the last meeting:-

i) Bank account move to Unity Bank. The Clerk reported that this was in progress and he would circulate the signature list required by the bank and forward them a cheque for £500 to open the account. The Barclays account will remain in operation for the time being.

ii) Condition survey report to War Memorial Trust. A grant submission was made several months ago, however the trust have asked for some more photos of the memorial before they can approve the application. Cllr Thomas to action.

iii)Robert Courts meeting with councillors in January. Cllr Thomas has yet to contact him to check if the public can attend.

iv) Hedge overhanging the path in Eynsham rd. Cllr Perrin has informed the Clerk of the house no and the Clerk will now write to the resident asking if the hedge can be cut back.

v) Cllr Thomas will put a note in CAWN asking if any resident would be interested in carrying out maintenance tasks for PC.  Actioned.

vi) Purchase of fifty Wheelie bin 30mph stickers. An order has been placed and a cheque needs to be dispatched –this is a finance item.

c) Neighbourhood watch update /security cameras in the village/advice from Chris Lewis security. Cllr Perrin Perrin reported on a village clear up which proved very successful. An advice booklet is being prepared for circulation to elderly residents with telephone numbers for Neighbourhood Watch contacts  around the village.

The Clerk reported that he had spoken to Chris Lewis security systems and had received conflicting advice about the potential of using the VAS columns on which to place cameras. A wi-fi connection would be needed to service the cameras from a building nearby; therefore the camera would need to be located on the village hall. Cllr Thomas will discuss further with Matt Brittan.

d) Appointment of new Clerk. The post has been advertised in the Witney Gazette and Oxford Mail and will shortly appear in the Woodstock and Bladon News. There have been three enquires and one application so far. It was agreed to wait for a week or two to see if any further applications will be submitted. Clerk to contact Eynsham online to see if an advert can be placed.there

e) Manor Farm development S106 monies to be allocated. Money is being allocated to the county council for the closure of Horsemere Lane. A sum in the region of £20k will be forthcoming to the parish council for repairs to the sports pavilion and the playing field. St Peter’s School is also trying to put in a bid for an extension to the playground.



125/17 5.   Correspondence.

a)   Request for a grant from West Oxon Citizens Advice Bureau. This was discussed and it was Resolved to make a grant of £75.One hundred and fifty three people in the Eynsham and Cassington area currently receive their support.

b)  Request for a grant from the Sports & Social Club for additional equipment on Elms Rd  Playingfield required as part of grant submission on behalf of the parish council to the WODC Community Fund. Various issues were discussed including the future cost of maintaining the equipment which the council may need to meet. A grant of £1,000 was made previously to the club to improve the sports pavilion. However, this application was unsuccessful so the grant was not paid. Subsequently the grant was set aside to improve the cricket pitch of which £400 has been spent .It was Resolved that a grant of £500 be made to support the grant application to WODC. It was agreed that the SS&C should prioritise improvements to the pavilion which is in poor condition.


Cllr Charles Mathew reported that Highway investigations were ongoing regarding the A40 bus lane although financing for the project is yet to be agreed. The county council has approved the latest gravel plan and most of the workings will take place south of the River Thames. Proposals have been put forward by leaders of Oxfordshire council’s for 8 bn worth of infrastructure projects and this is out to consultation. There is no further information about the progress on the closure of Horsemere Lane.

Cllr Martin reported on a recent Village Hall committee meeting where better arrangements for parking at the village hall were discussed. The committee may seek financial support from the council for replacing the chairs.

The problem of parking at school times was discussed and it was felt the head teacher should be approached to encourage children to walk to school. Cllr Thomas to action.

Calibration of the speed radar gun was discussed and advice from TVPA will be sought.

Cllr Clague raised the issue of reopening the old Cassington Rd towards Eynsham. It was thought it was closed due to an unsafe bridge.

Cllr Thomas reported on a meeting in the village with the Highways Engineer and had produced a note of the meeting for reference. Tarmac patching material was available for small potholes.

He had also spoken to Cllr Kelland and Blenheim Estates were keen to make the S106 payment for the Manor Farm development as soon as possible.



QUESTIONS FROM THE PUBLIC: There was question about parking on the pavement on the Eynsham Rd. Cllr Perrin to raise this with the police. Also a beech hedge in Eynsham Rd is overhanging the footpath .Cllr Perrin to check and house no and the Clerk to write to the resident and ask for it to be cut back.  
128/17 DITCHES DRAINAGE AND FLOODING: The Clerk has asked the Environment Agency to confirm when the ditches in the village will be cleared.  

a)  Burial Ground: request from St Peter’s Church for assistance with ivy clearance. This was discussed and given the high level of burial income this year it was Resolved the Cllr Perrin to check and house no and the Clerk to write to the resident and ask for it to be cut back.

Cllr Thomas will put a note in CAWN asking if any resident would be interested     in undertaking some maintenance tasks on behalf of the council.

130/17 TRAFFIC:

a) Purchase of Wheelie bin 30mph stickers.

It was Resolved to purchase fifty stickers for distribution.

131/17 PLAY AREA:

a) The condition of the boarding to the grass area was discussed and it was   agreed to find a contractors to do the repairs. Clerk to action.

132/17 FINANCE:

a)    Payments:

It was Resolved to make the following payments after considering the budget.

WODC grass cutting village green   £66.63 x 2

BDO audit fee           £240

Clerk salary and expenses £632.56

HMRC  payment  £130.93

Unity Bank   £500 deposit.

Woodstock and Bladon News £24

Citizens Advice Witney   £75

b) Income: Burial income: £1,146 fees collected for J Evans, D Newport,               K Locke, F Howlett, D Hart, I Willoughby and R Langston.

c) External Auditors report by BDO. The Clerk reported that the auditors had approved the Annual Return and accounts for 2016/17 without comments.

It was Resolved to note the approval of the external auditors report.

d) Opening of a new bank account with Unity bank. It was Resolved to agree the opening of a new Unity bank account and to deposit an initial sum of £500.







a) APPLICATION NO: 17/02706/HHD PROPOSAL: Alterations and erection of single storey extension. Mill Lane House Cassington.   No comments.

b) Date for midmonth meeting: Tuesday 17th October 2017.

134/17 AOB:

To agree the recruitment process for the Parish Clerk vacancy. This will be discussed at the next mid month meeting. It was agreed to place an advert in the Oxford Times.



135/17 Date of Next meeting:

This was agreed for Thursday 2nd November 2017 in the village hall.