December 2020 Minutes

Minutes 2019 Uploaded on April 26, 2021

Minutes of a Meeting held in Cassington Village Hall 7.30 pm on

Thursday 5th December 2019


Cllr H Thomas, Cllr C Metcalf, Cllr J Perrin Clerk Mrs T Cameron, Cllr D Butlin, plus members of the public

179/19 APOLOGIES  

Cllr C Rylett & Cllr C Mathew, Cllr D Levy, Cllr B King


No Declaration

The Parish Council has also made the public aware that the meeting is recorded for the clerk to type up the minutes at a later date at home.


The minutes of the meeting held on Thursday 7th November 2019 were approved after some changes


a) Thames Valley Police Report – notifications of incidents in Cassington

Van Break Ins Oxfordshire

A number of vans have been broken into in Woodstock it would appear criminals are using a new technique to break into vans
Thieves are cutting their way into vans, popping locks to steal power tools.
Lock all doors and close all windows every time your vehicle in unattended, however briefly.
Always remove the ignition keys and never leave your vehicle unattended with the engine running.
When parking your van, try to park as near to buildings or solid structure so criminals can’t access locks.
Always keep your vehicle keys in a safe place, out of sight and away from windows and doors.
Consider fitting number plate security screws.
Fit your wheels with lockable wheel nuts. Protect the spare wheel from being stolen by fitting a spare wheel guard.
Don’t park in isolated areas to do paperwork of for a meal break. Park in car parks which are part of the police approved ‘Park Mark’ scheme.

Do Not Let Thieves Steal Your Christmas

Pay simple attention to the following tips and don’t let thieves steal your Christmas:

·         Keep presents out of view – placing presents in plain view of windows will only draw attention to your house and its contents.

·         Be cautious when using social media such as Facebook – do you really want to advertise that your home is empty by showing you are somewhere else or having a countdown to your holiday?

·         Property mark presents and valuables with your postcode, house number or name, then register on Immobilise. Make a note of model numbers and serial numbers of all electrical items. You can even take a photo of you holding the gift as proof of ownership.

·         Invest in a timer to open and close your curtains or turn on your lights, or better yet, ask a family member or neighbour to pop in and do it at random times of the day so a potential thief does not see an exact pattern.

·         Dispose of boxes and rubbish discreetly. Leaving boxes outside may give away the fact that you have new and valuable items in the house.

b) Report from the Clerk on actions from the last meeting –

 i) Lease on the Pavilion – Tracey has emailed the Solicitor and she is going to start to prepare the lease.

ii) Tree Lights – The tree lights have been brought

iii) Budget – Tracey has emailed a copy of the income and expenditure to all councillors.  This is to help decide if we increase the precept for next year or not.  If we wish to increase by more than 3% then we will need a valid reason to do so.

iv) Contact WODC re road sigh on Eynsham Road – Tracey contacted WODC regarding the Eynsham Road street sigh at the entrance to Cassington this has been passed to OCC and that it will be looked at in due course.

v) Gifts for Children for the Carol Concert – Tracey has purchased the books for the children for the Carol Concert.  These books are to be given out by Father Christmas.

vi) Songs for Carol Service – Tracey has been in contact with Duncan with regards to the songs that will be sung.  He now has a copy of the last years carols and is in the process of editing them

vii) Contact Tree Surgeon re trees on the Green and the Pavilion – Have contacted Tom and he has advised that he can start on 6th January.  Cllr Butlin has asked if Tracey can double check that all the dead wood will be taken off the trees and removed.

viii) Contact SSE re electric poles on the Recreation Ground – Tracey has emailed SSE once again has she has had no response from the previous email.

ix) Chase Funtime Bounce re the refund of bouncy castle – Have emailed Funtime Bounce re the refund.  Have yet to hear anything back.

x) Chase Playforce for the Inspectors Report for the new equipment – Have been advised that the inspectors will be in Cassington this week to do the inspection

 i) Previous Planning Application –


PROPOSAL: Use of building and land for charcoal production (B2 use)

LOCATION: Land and building at Cassington Oxfordshire

APPLICANT: Mr Adam Hulewicz

STATUS: Under Consideration


PROPOSAL: Alterations and erection of single storey side extension.

LOCATION: The Willows Eynsham Road Cassington

APPLICANT: Mr And Mrs Wain

STATUS: Approved


 We received an email from a resident advising that the potholes in Horsemere lane were getting worse.  I sent an email to Cllr Mathew and also to WODC Highways.  They got back to be and advised that they had inspected it and that it was due to be fixed within the week.


 a) Neighbourhood Watch –. Cllr Perrin has advised that they have had a few incidents where people have had their doors knocked on late at night and there is no one there.  Also, someone has spray painted a front wall of a member of the village.

Cllr Perrin has been giving out little packs to residents about how to keep you safe.

Parish Councillors

 Cllr Metcalf has been chasing the website as we have paid for the domain name.  He then received an email back with a list of questions that needed answering as we had requested a .gov website.

b) Speedwatch – They have got volunteers and are now just working on a rota system to form the groups who will be going out.


We have been asked to put something in CAWN to remind people to pick up after their dogs and to use the dog poo bins in the village rather than leave it.

A member of the public has asked if we knew when Blenheim would be finishing the road.  Cllr Thomas has emailed them as it is has been like it for about 3 weeks.  Apparently, they need an agreement with OCC and are still awaiting confirmation. Cllr Thomas as advised Blenheim that we could possibly talk to Cllr Mathew to get it moved along.

It was noted that the windows have not been cleaned by Blenheim.  Cllr Thomas has said that he will contact them.


Please can people remember to things on fix my street on the WODC website.

188/19 TRAFFIC:

We have a volunteer for speed watch.


There has been an issue with the Castle in the play area where there has some rotten timber.  Cllr Butlin has been there and has fixed the hole and mended other parts.

190/19 FINANCE

 a)    Payments:

Name Reason Amount
Tracey Cameron Clerk Salary £545.88
Clare Want Leaves on the lane £10.00
WODC Village Green Grass Cut (August) £68.84
WODC Village Green Grass Cut (October) £68.84
SLCC Annual Membership £92
Village Hall Oct & Nov Parish Council Meeting £32.00
Dave Butlin Work on Play Area £56.46
Tony Sockett Supply and Plant Trees £110.00

b) Income:

Individual/Company Amount




PROPOSAL: Planning application by Hanson Quarry Products Europe Limited Hanson House, 14 Castle Hill, Maidenhead, Berkshire, SL6 4JJ for planning permission: Section 73 application for the continuation of the winning and working of sand and gravel with restoration using suitable imported materials to vary conditions 1 and 6 of planning permission 15/04415/CM to amend the approved restoration scheme for the plant site at Cassington Quarry, Cassington Road, Yarnton, OX29 4EB

LOCATION: Cassington Quarry Worton Witney Oxfordshire

APPLICANT: Hanson Quarry Products Europe Ltd


PROPOSAL: Temporary Event Notice

LOCATION: Field South of Cassington

DATE: 4th Sep 2020 12pm – 7th Sept 2020 12am


PROPOSAL: Erection of grain store

LOCATION: Jericho Farm Buildings Burleigh Road Cassington

APPLICANT: Delafield Brothers


i) Dates of next years Parish Council Meetings.  It was thought that it was a good idea to get the all the Parish Council Meetings booked in now so that they are held on the 1st Thursday of every month – (Tracey to email Kathryn)

 ii) Christmas Carol Concert.  The tree is up and the decorations will be put on the tree at the weekend.  Cllr Thomas has been to the school and asked if any of the children would like to come and decorate the tree.  The Sports and Social are going to do teas and coffees and the Red Lion have said that they will do Mulled Wine if it is not raining.

 iii) Tree on the small green.  It was suggested a Rowan Tree.  The Parish Council would like to see more trees in the village and if any one has an idea where they would like a tree to contact the Parish Council.

iv) Climate Change Group.  Cllr Thomas attended a meeting where they talked about various ideas.  The school are getting the children interested.  WODC now have a new member of staff with regards to Climate Change.  It is thought that the Parish Council should make contact them. Something that was mentioned was maybe that the Parish Council could look at installing bike rakes for parents if they cycle their children to school.

iiv) Cllr Thomas advised that they had found a salt spreader while they were clearing out the garage.  He has spoken to the school and they have said that they have a safe place for it to be stored and would be able to use it if there was snow to make it safe for the children.

iiv) There is a piece of land that has become over grown.  Cllr Thomas has suggested that maybe we go out to tender to find someone to clear it. It was mentioned that if we level it people will park on it.  So maybe we could plant some new trees and maybe a seat.  We need to create a plan of what we want doing.

iiiv) Cllr Thomas advised that Kevin the Editor of CAWN would be stepping down in August.  Cllr Thomas would like everyone to think if they know anyone who would like to volunteer for the role.

v) Cllr Butlin mentioned that in Freeland they have a box that is used as a second hand library.  A resident has said that they would happily set it up and run it for the village.  They have said that they would look into it.  The Parish Council think that it would be a good idea to have it next to the notice board by the green.



193/19 Date of Next meeting:

 Mid Monthly Planning Meeting – Council Decided that no mid-month meeting was needed.

Date of the next Parish Council Meeting Thursday 2nd January in the Village Hall